As I have gotten older, birthdays were a surface-level experience for me. The attention and validation that surrounded my birthday has never been anything that I have truly wanted. I like celebrating with friends and family but nothing extravagant. Then last year, life slapped me sideways and I gained an entirely different perspective on life.
Last year (my 25th birthday), for the first time, my birthday meant the world to me. I appreciated what I had gone through and I reflected on that growth. I congratulated myself on another trip around the sun and was so thankful for another 365 days to do it again with more intention and purpose.
The past 365 days were some of the hardest of my life because I finally started to work on me from the inside out. I called myself out on my bullshit, stared my insecurities in the face, and confronted my toxic behavior. We still have a long way to go, but she’s progressing! I’ve also learned to really love myself through it all and I think that radiates new energy.
My birthday wishes this year are to continue tapping into the best version of myself, become more confident about being self-employed, be of service to others, and allow it to be reciprocated, oh- and be happier than I ever have:)
In the meantime, I have 365 clean pages to create my future and that is the best birthday present.
- Save work periodically before the WIFI craps out and induces an emotional meltdown
- Before I can expect others to believe in me, I have to be my biggest believer
- When “negative” things show up in life, instead of reacting, ask “what is this teaching me”
- Ice water every morning
- You’re allowed to cry for a little, you’re not allowed to sulk
- Words are powerful
- Mean people are just in pain
- A relationship means BOTH parties have to benefit
- It’s okay to take the compliment AND believe it
- The world still turns if you take the day off
- Stand-up comedy is basically medicine
- Don’t go if you don’t want to go
- Diets will never work for me, but lifestyle changes will
- Your 5 closest friends are reflections of you
- Eat the dark leafy greens…just do it
- Stick to your rate
- Don’t read the comments LOL
- I see you did break who I knew to be me and have given me glimpses of who I will become.
- Dogs will teach you about unconditional love after you somehow end up cuddling them after you chase them around the neighborhood
- Read a book
- Call Mom & Dad more
- Kill ’em with kindness
- Experience what you have learned
- If you can see it, you can have it
- Cheat day feels really good when you worked hard for it
- Be present
Thank you all for the birthday love and wishes and for celebrating with me! As always, thank y’all for stopping by and reading. I will see y’all back here next time.